Sunday, April 1, 2007

The Tour Marm - Blue Bus


Welcome!

Because I would like to keep some privacy online, I am withholding my name - simply refer to me as The Tour Marm! (Those of you whom are involved with your school's trip, already know my name! I shall also protect the privacy of your children by referring to them by first name, and teachers by the initials of their last names.)

I was born and raised in New York City, but have spent over half of my life in Virginia, near Washington, DC.

My interests are varied: History; Education; Theology; Politics; Art; Architecture; Theatre; Music; Travel (duh!); Interior Design; Cooking, Entertaining; Conversation; Reading; Writing; and Generally Being Silly.

But most of all, I'm a passionate advocate of curriculum-based student travel!

I have been connected with educational student travel programs for over twenty-five years; first as an educational 'trip leader' for the former Educational Field Studies, and then as a tour guide for several other student tour operators.

After having started my profession with EFS, the gold standard of educational student tours, I became disenchanted with the quality of student travel programs offered by most student tour operators. Most programs offered through large student tour operators have lost their educational value and are reduced to perfunctory sightseeing tours.

Twenty-five years of travel, mainly centered in the United States and Canada with both students and adults, has given me the breadth of practical knowledge of historic sites and venues that cannot be found with most sales people in large student tour companies.

When the student tour industry came to a full stop after September 11th, I had time to consider other professions, but the success stories (many of them quite poignant) pointed me back to be of service to students and teachers. I decided to become a professional student travel planner and work with such student travel providers as Educational Discovery Tours in Truckee, CA.

My planning skills, logistical expertise, love of history, and understanding of curriculum-based education brought me to the realization that I could fill the void. Your student's trip is actually the result of a close collaboration with the teachers and administrators to design educational travel programs that would reflect their curriculum, align with SOL's, enhance teaching plans, and meet objectives.

I was fortunate to find Educational Discovery Tours and together we have combined to present a unique product in the student tour industry: Customized, curriculum-based student travel programs.

By partnering with the teachers and administration has produce your school's program. No two programs are alike. In fact, many schools opt to change destinations each year!

We value your sons and daughters; pleased be assured that safety and comfort is our number one priority.

So without further ado, look up the name of your school and follow our progress. (We will try to download a few photos each evening upon our return to the hotel.

Oh. I also have a blog! http://www.tourmarm.blogspot.com

The Tour Marm




Posted by Picasa

No comments: